Re: Installing Debian hurd/amd64

Thanks Svante and Stephen for your responses. I'll try the updated installer by Samuel Thibault. Perhaps as I go along, Svante (or any others willing) can help me with any tweaks I need to make. If I'm successful, info for using VirtualBox can be added to the info for qemu?

------Original Message------
From: Svante Signell
To: David Hiran Watson
Cc: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: Installing Debian hurd/amd64
Sent: Feb 5, 2011 07:13

On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 03:05 +0000, David Hiran Watson wrote:
> Hey all, I've been following this thread because I am also interested
>  in installing Debian Hurd as a vm. I was considering it last year but
>  held off. Recently I upgraded my computer to AMD Phenom II x6 / Win 7
>  Pro. I plan to reinstall VirtualBox.
>
> What method would you recommend I use install Hurd? I can install
>  Debian Linux as a vm, and use crosshurd. Or should I use the latest
>  i386 ISO?

I have installed (32bit) Debian GNU/Hurd under Qemu, using the Debian
Installer in mini.iso made by Jeremie Koenig,
http://jk.fr.eu.org/debian/hurd-installer/

A version with an updated Debian installer is created by Samuel
Thibault,
http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/installer/cdimage/

Other alternatives are Virtualbox and Xen, but I have not tried them
yet. The three buildds are running Xen.

> Also would Debian Hurd benefit from hardware virtualization turned on
>  (AMD-V)?

Yes, I have one Intel box and one AMD box with hardware support, giving
reasonable speeds under qemu-kvm. Also X-windows works, after some
tweaking (and ssh, and emacs, ...).

(I'm working on a short todo to contribute to the Debian/Hurd page about
qemu.)

God bless

David Hiran Watson
e: hiranwatson@gmail.com