Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 01:05 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Svante Signell, le Wed 03 Nov 2010 00:56:05 +0100, a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 22:32 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > Svante Signell, le Tue 02 Nov 2010 22:06:29 +0100, a écrit :
> > I have tried vnc as Arne suggested, will do some more tests later. I
> > did not have any luck for the keyboard with -vnc :1 -k sv and
> > qvncviewer. In addition it is much slower than curses/default.
> > The window size obtained was: 720x400.
> > #> gvncviewer :1
> > Connected to server
> > Remote desktop size changed to 720x400
> > Connection initialized
>
> That'll get resize when you start X.

OK

> > > ?! curses is meant to make qemu fit _inside_ an xterm and not a separate
> > > window, yes.
> >
> > I mean that since the xterm/gnome terminal has to be 80x25, running X
> > with this window size, will be very low resolution, 640x480.
>
> No, you won't get any graphical output at all. xterm is only able to
> display text, not graphism!!

Well starting qemu with curses in the gnome terminal first shows a
screen saying 640x480 graphic mode! So does xterm! Is this not a graphic
mode?

> > How to
> > get X running with or without curses in a terminal with a reasonable
> > resolution, like 1280x1024x16. The qemu man page says one should use -vga
> > std to be able to use larger resolutions. How?
>
> By running -vga std, and then try to run Xorg, see whether it just
> already uses a good resolution, else configure it, etc.

I'll try later.

> > > What do you exactly mean by "doing shutdown in the qemu window"? Typing
> > > "halt" at the hurd shell?  Mach will indeed not trigger the poweroff
> > > mechanism so you have to kill qemu by hand from another terminal, yes,
> > > or use alt-2 to switch to qemu's control console and type quit.
> >
> > Keyboard seem to be OK, but åäö etc are dead.
>
> Yes, the curses frontend can not properly deal with such keys.

OK!

> > Still no working scrollbar, but alt-2 works! Slower than default,
> > faster than vnc and no grub boot menu!?
>
> That's because grub uses a graphical mode by default.

What about the scrollbar, the ctrl-iup, etc keys does not work, and no
scrollbar either with or without curses in gnome terminal or xterm. How
read scrolled away text without a scrollbar??

> Again, all an xterm will ever by able to display is just text, nothing
> more. So don't use the -curses option if you want to start Xorg in the
> Hurd Guest.

OK, but see above.