Re: Help in testing a patch for efax-gtk FTBFS on hurd

On 9 June 2010 08:05, Iain R. Learmonth <adapa@shiftout.com> wrote:
> I was thinking along the lines of FreeBSD's Linux compatibility,
> allowing applications to run with little modification. I understand that
> to hang on to things that aren't in the specification, or are
> deprecated, is not really a good thing, but if adding a library of
> headers that defines these limits is easier than modifying a load of
> applications that depend on them, this could be a good idea.

It's more that these limits are a guarantee that gnu can't commit to.
For example, if we specify a max path length and then run the program
from a deeper directory structure, how are programs going to behave?
We're violating an assumption that they were qualified in making
according to posix. I'm not too sure about PIPE_BUF, though, it seems
like an optimisation rather than a limit. Are there any ramifications
for setting the value too small?

--
William Leslie