Can't re-install - undefined symbol

I had a catastrophic crash yesterday so I am trying to re-install. However it's failing.

I've repartitioned the hard disc and installed the base system. When I reboot I now get the Grub prompt. I followed step 5 of http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install. When I typed boot the Hurd started until the message:

panic: Error in executing boot strap undefined symbol

I've not seen that before. I've run tried twice and had someone else type the steps as well, but each time I get that message. How do I proceed?

-Nigel