Re: Error when running native-install

Hello,

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 15:35 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Patrik Olsson, le Fri 09 Apr 2010 15:13:17 +0200, a écrit :
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> We can't say if you do not tell us what you do before ./native-install,
> i.e. the grub configuration etc.

I followed this guide from point 5 (using grub1):
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

Before that I got the system installed with the L1 mini-iso (except the
partitioning which I did with another Debian GNU/Linux iso because the
Hurd one would take forever).

> > By the way. Why is not GRUB installed and configured together with the
> > system?
>
> Because like so many other things, nobody took the time to set that up.

If I only knew how to do it, I would do it now. Well, unless I knew it
was a whole lot of complex work, which I assume it is since no one has
done it yet. :-P

Please tell me if you think it is something that I could fix.

As I understand it, the installation simply extracts a file called
baseGNU.tgz (at least that's the only thing I noticed it did). So
shouldn't it be possible to include grub configuration in it
(/boot/grub/?) and then make the installation execute grub-install or
something. But I don't know, it's probably more complicated than that.

> > It takes like 5 minutes to write in all that magic to get GRUB
> > starting the Hurd, and it is so error-prone.
>
> You can throw them in a config file and load it from the grub prompt
> thanks to the configfile command...

I tried that, but it didn't work (I probably messed up, I had to write
the file using cat). Luckily I got another pre-configured GRUB image.

Thanks.

/Patrik