[debian-hurd-Bugs][312328] hurd ext2fs_large_stores.patch: uninitialized variable

Bugs item #312328, was changed at 05/02/2010 19:37 by Samuel Thibault
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=411594&aid=312328&group_id=30628

Category: None
Group: None
>Resolution: Fixed

Initial Comment:
I hope this is the right place to report bugs in patches used by Debian's
hurd package.

An uninitialized variable used to store the buffer length when reading
the super block from a store causes ext2fs to crash.  This happens
whenever the variable happens to contain a length greater than the size
of the super block, because only then does the store try to write to
the provided buffer, (which is null) instead of allocating a new buffer.

For me this happened whenever ext2fs used a normal file as a backing
store, e.g. ext2fs -T file /tmp/blip, but not when ext2fs could use
the underlying store directly, e.g. sudo ext2fs /tmp/blip.  Also, it
never happened when I used ext2fs.static.  However, others were not
able to replicate my results, presumably because the variable's value
is unpredictable.

I have attached a patch to the ext2fs_large_stores patch, which I think
is the best way to show the fix.  It should be easy enough to edit the
patch manually if there is any problems applying such a patch.

Date: 06/02/2010 19:41

Message:
It could also have been in the usual BTS, but I guess this is fine too.

I've applied it, thanks!