Re: Panic: bad magic number

Thomas Schwinge wrote:
Hello!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 04:52:35PM +0200, Bruno Minotti wrote:

Can you post the output of tune2fs for that partition?

a# tune2fs -l /dev/hda8

All that looks fine.

How big is your hard disk?  It might be that Mach mis-detects something
there?  Are there any messages about that when booting?

Hi!

I made some other tries: first I changed the features for that partition (suggestion of michael) but also with no-features I had always the same error.
Until this error, the first part of mach seems to boot without errors (I have to read fast).
My hd is 320 Gb, IDE. My (yet old) partition table was something like that:

- hda1 -> primary -> /boot
- hda2 -> primary -> /
- hda3 -> extended
- hda5 -> swap
- hda6 -> logical -> /home
- hda7 -> logical -> /archive
- hda8 -> logical -> "experimental partition", actually with hurd mountet on /gnu

My second essay was to delete hda8 and had a primary partition (hda4) on the end of the disk: always the same error (with the same bad magic number). Then I remade hda8 (smaller) and made another hurd partition hda9. With this last partition the mach started normally, but at the same moment (start /hurd/ext2fs.static...) I had the error: no such file or directory.
I also have the feeling that there's a problem with the partition table and the mach, otherwise I can't explain why with the same partition, with hda8 I got an error and with hda9 I got another.
I'm making yet another essay: I'm changing my partition table with a primary partition (for hurd) after the root partition (actually hda2) and before the extended partition (actually hda3) and see what happens. It takes a long time with my computer (hours, actually am working); I will send a mail after the rebuild of the partitions and the essay with hurd on the new partition.