xinit unable to connect to X server

I believe I am experiencing the same problem as is outlined in this
thread:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-hurd@lists.debian.org/msg19397.html

At first I thought it was a problem with X, but now I'm beginning to
think it has to do with xinit.

I have tried running 'startx' from the hurd console with and without
an .xinitrc, and with and without an .xsession file.  I have tried as
root and as a normal user.  In all cases the outcome is the same.

I almost immediately go into graphical mode and see the weave
background and X cursor.  However, no other programs load.

I even added a line to my .xinitrc at one point to echo some text to
a file in my home dir.  The file was never created.

After several minutes (less than fifteen), xinit gives up and issues
this error:

  xinit:  Operation not supported (errno 1073741869):  unable to connect to X server

I then tried running xinit itself, without any parameters (which will
supposedly start X and then run an xterm).  It also loads the weave
background, but nothing else starts.

# dpkg -l xserver-xorg
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
ii  xserver-xorg   1:7.3+18       the X.Org X server

# dpkg -l xinit
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
ii  xinit          1.0.9-2        X server initialisation tool

What are some other things I should try, or debugging I should try to
collect?

-kolibrie