Re: K16 QEmu Image available

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 11:52:41PM +0900, Hiroyuki Yamamoto wrote:
> Michael Banck wrote:
> > I assembled a qemu image based on the K16 mini-ISO.  It contains a 2 GB
> > file system image, initially taking up around 160 MB of real space after
> > decompressing the tarball[1].  You can find the image here:
> >
> > http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/K16/debian-hurd-k16-qemu.img.tar.gz
> >
> > It has booting via Grub and networking setup so one can conveniently
> > explore Debian GNU/Hurd without any further need to install or initially
> > configure the image.
>
> It is wonderful!
>
> If possible, could you support VMware image officially?
>
> I have personally uploaded VMware image.
> http://yama.so.land.to/archive/hurd-vmware/hurd-k16-vmware-i386.zip
>
> If VMware image is also supported officially, a lot of people will be
> able to use Hurd in a virtual environment.

As VMware is proprietary software, we do not officially support it,
sorry.  (Well, if Philip or Guillem or the others overrule me, I'm fine
with having it there, of course)

VMware should just be able to use simple disk images, I think virtualbox can do
that.  There is nothing fancy about the QEMU image, you can trivially
loop-mount it on GNU/Linux if you offset to the first partition, e.g.

That said, qemu-img can convert the image to a vmware image, maybe we
could mention that.

Michael