Re: System restarts on Boot

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 12:36:52AM +0530, Ashish Gokhale wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 11:10:04PM +0530, Ashish Gokhale wrote:
> >> I have downloaded the latest debain-hurd -tar.gz and extracted to
> >> different partition, setup Grub as directed. The system is restarting
> >> on boot.
>
> >Does it instantly restart after the kernel is selected in grub, or do
> >you see several lines/screenfuls of kernel messages first?  Does Grub
> >find the kernel and modules?
> Grub does fiind the kernel & modules. I see some messages, but system
> reboots before I am able clearly makeout the last lines.
>
> >> Is there any option to log the boot messages?
> Is there any debug support in gnumach? I think bootlog is what I can start building ;-)

Hrm, maybe there was a command-line switch to make Mach halt rather than
reboot on a panic.

The gnumach-dbg package will drop you into the Mach kernel debugger on a
panic, which has the same effect has halting, you might have to extract
the gnumach-dbg.gz from the .deb from GNU/Linux and put it into the
Hurd's /boot (and modify the Grub config) manually.

Michael