Re: System restarts on Boot

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 11:10:04PM +0530, Ashish Gokhale wrote:
> I have downloaded the latest debain-hurd -tar.gz and extracted to
> different partition, setup Grub as directed. The system is restarting
> on boot.

Does it instantly restart after the kernel is selected in grub, or do
you see several lines/screenfuls of kernel messages first?  Does Grub
find the kernel and modules?

> Is there any option to log the boot messages?

I fear not, unless you have booting via serial console setup in Grub,
maybe.

> could it be due to wrong device= setting? I have installed hurd on
> Secondary Slave (hdd4) partition as per linux. So I think
> root=device:hd3s4 is correct.

Do you have a modern SATA adapter?  Those aren't supported by Mach, you
need to operate them in legacy mode.

Michael