Re: LX1 installer and Debian GNU/Hurd

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:41:57PM +0530, Praveen A wrote:
> >  * The paritioning/formatting could do with some more checks, one user
> >    reported he accidently had his GNU/Linux /home partition formatted.
>
> Kiran has already integrated cfdisk instead of fdisk I think. He is
> working on the checks.

Excellent.

> >  * The installation results in a /usr symlink.  Debian GNU/Hurd should
> >    have a real /usr directory, rather.
> >
> > Now, the question is how to proceed from here.  It seems there is one
> > LX1 miniISO being distributed via rapidshare and mirrored at some lesser
> > known locations.
>
> See http://projecthurd.googlepages.com/

Ah, that is a quite good overview page with the europe mirror, good.

> > Is this the final LX1 miniISO, or some testing/beta
> > release?  Is there a full CD set available?  I believe parts of the
> > screen messages say this installer would install X, while the miniISO
> > does not contain X packages.
>
> It uses K14 CD sets to install X.  AFAIK there isn't a full cd set. It
> would be nice to have.

OK.

> > Where should these ISO images be hosted?  So far, the primary location
> > for the K* series was on ftp.gnuab.org, is it OK to have the L* series
> > hosted there as well?
>
> I think it would be OK.
> >
> > Where should the source code of the L installer be hosted?
>
> It is a single shell script and it it available from
> http://gnu.ethz.ch/hurd/pgm.txt

So everything else (native-install, baseGNU.tar, cd mastering) has been
taken from K14?

> I think it would be better to focus on d-i with cross debootstrap and
> Kiran has already looking into the d-i code. For the time being may
> be, we could complete the CD set.

Hrm, if this is going to be a temporary effort, then maybe it is not so
important to host the code etc. somewhere.  I don't think we will
officially move over to d-i anytime soon, though.

Michael