Re: strange behaviour of HURD (was: MAKEDEV kills everything)

Hi,

arnuld schrieb:
On 7/11/07, Teague MacRoot <hdflhtp@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

I understand that you have a restrictive Internet accuses, but just last
night (09 July 07) I was able to go from formating a new hard drive to
logging in as root in 'bout 30 minutes.  Very little of that time was I
truly on line.  Something to consider.

Teague.... what that means ?  out of my head

????
I think he just wanted to say that the benefit from using the CD might be worth the difficulties in getting it. Nevertheless, if you can just start over again, it might be worth trying (and be easier as you just figured out, that you can just leave the Grub entry as is and install again on the same partition, but don't forget to add the -s to gnumach command line the two boots you want to run ./native-install).

If you want to try a K14 CD you might ask the guys from gnu.org.in. They might be kind enough to send you the first CD (which should not be the problem). But right now I suggest just to start over. Btw. http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-cd has a good overview of the steps to do, but don't forget, that steps 1 and 2 need single user mode (for the third reboot it should not be neccessary). How to set up a useful console and x.org is described somehow on http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/HurdConsole and http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/DebianXorg .

Regards, Arguri.