Re: memory usage

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 02:52 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Samuel Thibault, le Mon 20 Aug 2007 02:18:44 +0200, a écrit :
> > Samuel Thibault, le Mon 20 Aug 2007 02:06:18 +0200, a écrit :
> > > int             vm_object_cached_max = 200;    /* may be patched*/
> > >
> > > We should probably raise it in debian at least.
> >
> > I've made it 2000.
>
> That put a simple gnumach compilation time from 4m18 down to 3m48. The
> number of cached objects indeed raised to 2000 during the compilation.
> (note: these are the cached objects, not the currently used objects).

1: I think it should be raised in gnumach itself, not just in the Debian
version.

2: It should be raised to be very high indeed; I think it should be
considerably more than the number of currently used objects in a system
under normal load; otherwise paging requires initializing the object,
which is a pointless hit.

3: Doing (2), it seems to me, should best be done by something dynamic
based upon the memory available to the kernel.

Thomas