Re: Please test DHCP on gnuab

At Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:29:12 +0200,
Thomas Schwinge wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Hello!
>
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 12:29:47AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Michael Banck, le Wed 13 Jun 2007 14:27:22 +0200, a ?crit :
> > > I finally uploaded dhcp-client packages to gnuab, please give them a
> > > test.
> >
> > Worked for me in Xen too.  That's really great :)
> > It would now be useful to somehow automate launching dhclient eth0.
>
> What about integrating that into `pfinet', something like
> ``--configure-interface-command-line dhclient\ %i''?

Sounds horrible.  Better, perhaps, would be a notification interface
for interesting events.  This should be sufficiently general that it
can be used by most translators.  fs_notify.defs does exist, however,
overloading file and directory changes for the root node is certainly
not the right thing to do.  pfinet could, however, publish
configuration information ala proc/sys as part of its file system
hierarchy.  In this case, a client interested in configuration events
could listen for notification events on some node.  (If this design
were followed, pfinet should be changed from a libtrivfs translator to
a libnetfs one.)

Neal