Re: Better patch for `diskfs_no_inherit_dir_group.patch'

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 02:09:09PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> What is this for?  That should certainly not be set by default.

It's been a while, but I think we took this patch to harmonize Debian
GNU/Hurd with Debian GNU/Linux in terms of sysv vs. bsd style for group
ownership of newly created files.  I believe the second reason was that
the sysvshm implementation needs no_inherit_dir_group to work properly,
and as currently no working solution for a temporay file system as
/dev/shm is known, we rely on the root file system to provide /dev/shm
as rendez-vous point.

Michael