Debian GNU/Hurd porting machine, hosting needed (was: Re: Fwd: Hardware for Debian people)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 08:58:47PM +0100, olafBuddenhagen@gmx.net wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:39:22PM +0530,
> ???????????????????????????|Praveen wrote:
>
> > Can we get some systems for hurd buildd and/or test servers? Will have
> > to figure out hosting.
>
> Well, if you can find proper hosting (with admin console etc.), that
> would be very useful indeed. This is probably much harder to organize
> than the Hardware, though...

We will/can get one of those donated computers, namely a Pentium 4
2.6GHz with 1GB RAM.  It has apparently a 19" 4U case.

Debian would also pay for shipping to a reasonable location, or somebody
could either pick it up at its current location in Frankfurt, Germany or
in June during Debconf in Edinburgh, Scotland.

I could easily pick it up in Frankfurt to test whether the Hurd installs
and runs well on it, but hosting a 19" case at my parent's place is
probably not the best idea, so we are looking for hosting possibilities,
preferably in Germany or Europe.

I think the best use for this box would be as a Debian porting machine,
i.e. a box where Debian Developers can get easily access to test their
stuff and which the current Debian GNU/Hurd porters can use to port and
test things.  Possibly, it could also be used as backup autobuilder.

Thus, hosting should include global accessibility via regular SSH, and
ideally with a remote console.  If such a console is not available, we'd
need somebody who could reliably reboot the box in case of trouble with
reasonable delay and who will not get annoyed at having to do this
frequently.  Network bandwidth should be negligible, even more so if a
local Debian mirror was available.  Local admins should include one
Debian GNU/Hurd porter and would possibly be entrusted to Debian System
Administration in case the port gets more prominent and the need for a
dedicated .debian.org porting box arises.

thanks,

Michael

--
<ari> the noun invidia has one meaning:
<ari> Meaning #1: spite and resentment at seeing the success of another