Re: Debian GNU/Hurd and ``/usr -> .''

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:43:01PM +0100, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Having a symbolic link for `/usr' that points to `.' has again and again
> proven to be not really suitable for the Debian GNU/Hurd operating system
> -- simply for the reason that this isn't what Debian GNU/Linux is doing,
> which is where 99,9 % of all Debian packages are maintained, I guess, and
> we Hurd people don't have the resources to fix those where it breaks.
>
> The `crosshurd' installation method already allows choosing between
> having a real `/usr' directory or having the symlink, but the CD
> installation method does not.
>
> Philip, can you change the CD scripts to not create the ``/usr -> .''
> symbolic link?  For simplicity I'd suggest to do it that way instead of
> making it configurable at installation time, which could also be done, of
> course.

I think that would be a good change.

Maybe it would be possible to figure out a way a /usr->. can still be
achieved, e.g. by documenting how and when exactly to switch to a
console during the installation in order to create the symlink.

> And: congratulations as well from my side for the K14 release.  I didn't
> need it so far, as there was so far no reason to re-install my box, but
> the day will come, I guess...  ;-)

Indeed, I only heard good comments about it so far.

cheers,

Michael