Re: problems installing grub

On Sunday 08 October 2006 00:51, Richard Braun wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 11:26:07AM +0100, mike wrote:
> > I have just installed Hurd from the CD, and it seems to be working
> > ok, however when i try to install Grub using the command grub-install
> > /dev/hd0 i get the error /dev/hd0: not found or not a block device,
> > and sure enough when i look at /dev/ there is only an instance for
> > hd0s1 and nothing for hd0.
>
> Try cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV hd0
>
> but AFAIK, Grub will have problems installing itself in hd0, I don't
> remember exactly why and maybe it works fine now. Anyway, you'd better
> install a Debian GNU/Linux besides your Hurd installation, just in
> case ;-).

You can install and edit grub with GNU/Linux so that it will boot the Hurd
installation.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc@copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info@copyleft.co.nz - business
  I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs & DVDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz