Re: panic: kmem_suballoc

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Neal H. Walfield wrote:

> At Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:18:48 +0200 (CEST),
> Santiago Vila wrote:
> > After an apt-get upgrade today, my Hurd didn't boot properly anymore,
> > giving this error message:
> >
> > panic: kmem_suballoc
> >
> > and rebooting afterwards.
> >
> > I was able to fix this by reducing the value of uppermem in menu.lst
> > (the machine has 1GB of RAM and there was already an uppermem line).
>
> What was it before?  What is it now?

I had 786432 for hda6 and 917504 for hda7. AFAIK, both of them worked
in the past. Now it is 524288.

> > As I didn't find a good link in google about this problem, I'm posting
> > this message here in the hope that the next person looking for
> > "panic: kmem_suballoc hurd" will have better luck :-)
>
> Recent versions of the GNU Mach package have included a patch to tune
> the VM.  I've gone from compiling for a few hours between crashes to
> compiling all day and often times properly shutting down in the
> evening.
>
> Do you happen to know what version of the gnu mach package you had
> installed before the update?

Most probably, version 1:20040915.dfsg.1-2, if I trust the timestamps
for the .list files at /var/lib/dpkg/info, who show the last upgrades
were made on 2005-04-30 (for hda6) and 2005-04-15 (for hda7).