Re: Question about NAT on Debian GNU/Hurd

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 13:48 +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:
> rafael alfaro <alfarosandoval@navegante.com.sv> writes:
>
> > Hi all!  I am from El Salvador (Central America), an electronics
> > undergraduate and I want to collaborate with this project, I want to
> > know if somebody already has written code to implement NAT, if it is not
> > thus, I want to do this like thesis in my university.
> >
> > Is somebody  working in this?
> > or is already done all the work about NAT?
>
> At the moment we are using the TCP/IP stack from Linux, including
> NAT.  The only problem is that the firewall code is not enabled.  It
> might be quite hard to enable it, or not, no one tried.  It will be
> some work but not as hard as implementing it from scratch.  I have no
> idea if this would be too easy for your thesis.
>
> The other option is re-implementing the TCP/IP stack (see the email I
> sent to bug-hurd yesterday).  I planned to work on that in some months
> during my summer holidays.  This will, of course, include NAT and
> stuff.
>
> So you can enable the NAT in the current TCP/IP stack.  If that is too
> easy you could think of other tasks or otherwise people here might
> have ideas, depending on what you would like to do.
>
> Thanks,
> Marco

Thanks Marco for the advice.  I don't know if it is a good idea to
enable the NAT in the current TCP/IP stack, because you are planning
to re-implement all the TCP/IP stack,  I think the code will be
cleaner than now if you do this; I really want to learn about the work
that you will do in the next months over the pfinet. good luck!!

Do you think the work to enable the NAT in the current TCP/IP will be
lost if you re-implement all the TCP/IP stack?

Does somebody know any task to do about networks (of course related to
hurd)?

Thanks in advance.
--
Rafael Alfaro