Re: [md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri)] Re: Required firewall support

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:54:28PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> Here's one fellow's interpretation of that requirement.
>
> Marco has advocated dropping 'doorstop architectures' from Debian for
> years and he is in no way authorative on this matter.
>
> Of course, it would be nice to have people work on an improved network
> stack, but I don't hope (or believe) the lack of a firewall will be the
> cause for Debian dropping GNU/Hurd.

It is damn easy to add firewall support into pfinet.  It basically
means enabling the firewall, adding the interfaces and porting the
userspace utility from linux (ipchains?) to set it up.

But doing this because the bureaucracy wants it seems like a silly
reason to me.  I am considering writing a new pfinet from scratch
because the current one really sucks, in my opinion.  If we want
firewall support it should be in the new pfinet, IMHO.

Thanks,
Marco