Re: shared IRQs, boot fails

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:50:27PM +0100, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> thanks a lot for the ideas. I managed to boot mach now. (I compiled on G
> NU/Linux, but had to slightly edit the i386-gnu-gcc -script, which
> called a none-existent compiler(?), at least on my installation.
> Disabling varhine was sufficient to avoid the previous freeze).

You can compile gnumach natively on GNU/Linux, at least when you apply
the patches from the Debian source package (also available at
sv.gnu.org)

> Now I try to get my network running. (SiS900 :-( ). I compiled the
> oskit-mach on hurd, ('cause I read about someones experience that the
> ne2000- driver might be used for the SiS with oskit-mach), however, I
> can't boot it:->freeze.

Same here. I have not heard of any successful boot with oskit-mach in
years (well, only very few failure notices, seems nobody bothers about
it)

> Further more, I cannot start the console:
>
> console -d vga -c /dev/vcs  -->lock...

You need to add '-d pc_kbd', or else you won't be able to type :)

> Isn't  the console necessary to start X?

Indeed. See the installation instructions on www.debian.org/ports/hurd
for details on how to exactly start the Hurd console and how to setup X.

cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Banck