Re: Some packages that compiled fine for hurd-i386

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:27:58PM +0100, Christopher Bodenstein wrote:
> > It's a bit awkward to review the patch as is, as it generates new files
> > in debian/patches, which itself contain the real patch. I am not too
> > sure how to proceed here, perhaps it is best to decouple the process.
> > I.e. first send the actual patch for the source packages and then
> > (optionally) a proposed patch for the Debian package.

> I started putting the patches into debian/patches after I noticed some
> packages remove the source tree and extract it again from the tarball in
> the package building process (and of course deleted any changes I'd made
> to the sources ;)

Yeah, that's sometimes the case. You will have to familiarize yourself
with the various Debian package build systems if you want to produce
patches which are directly applicable to Debian packages.

However, this is not necessarily needed in order to port packages. You
can just as well send only the patch and we will make one suitable for
Debian out of it.

It's usually a good idea to send a (reviewed) patch to upstream for
inclusion anyway, so the other Hurd distributions and (possibly, if the
respective package is included) the GNU system itself benefits from
that. You cannot always rely on Debian maintainer sending patches
upstream (cf. SSH X-forwarding breakage). In that case, you would need
to send a plain patch anyway.

But also in the case of patch systems where patches reside in
debian/patches/foo.diff, the preferred form of submission to the Debian
maintainer is the plain diff. Of course, this depends on a case-by-case
basis.

For example, if you want to make it easy for others to rebuild the
package, a full patch like you sent is preferred. The same applies for
NMUs (Non-Maintainer-Uploads) (e.g. if one of the Hurd porters decides
enough is enough and uploads a fixed package themselves, this happens
rarely though, if at all). In that case, it is mandated that you send a
full interdiff (i.e. either diff -Naur package-1.2.0 package-1.2.0.new,
or interdiff -z package_1.2.0-1.diff.gz package_1.2.0-1.1.diff.gz) to
the bug report so that the maintainer can easily include it. Only Debian
Developers can upload NMUs, but if you want to prepare one so that one
of us can upload it after a rebuild, you are welcome to send the
interdiff here for review. (Pretty much what I stated in my last mail
already, albeit a bit more verbose)

> > Again, thanks for your work! Does ssmtp work well for you?

> Well, it works for me, but I don't send lots of mails through that
> machine. But no problems so far.

great!

cheers,

Michael