Re: apt offline

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:48:41PM +0000, Maurice McCarthy wrote:
> Thanks Michael
>
> Don't know what I've messed up but I'm still getting the same error
> message with your recommendations. More accurately this was:
>
> dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 1:
> field name `' must be followed by a colon

Hmm, sorry I didn't read your original posts well enough it seems.

This error strongly suggest your available file is corrupt, maybe due to
file system corruption. I believe you can regenerate it running 'dselect
update' as super-user.

> I've got two problems getting Hurd on to the internet
> 1. No ethernet but a broadban cable modem on the USB
> 	(Hurd has no usb support)

This is probably going to be an issue for the foreseeable future, sorry.

> 2. my isp only does DHCP
> 	(again this is broken)

We are working on this. DHCP should be there real soon now.

> So that is why I had to go for apt-offline (Think it was Ognan tipped
> me off for it.)

Well, I have to use it as well (due to 1.)

> (I'm not too convinced it will work as I had a lot of bother getting
> connexion when I was first experimenting with linux about 5 or 6 years
> ago. NTL had almost zero support and there was nothing useful to found
> about Ambit Modems. I cracked it with persistence and pure luck!  --
> Never mind it is worth a go.)

Well, in general, if it works with Linux-2.0 or the drivers provided by
Donald Becker, it should work the GNU Mach (the underlying microkernel
which takes care of the hardware devices). In any case, feel free to
post again once you have further problems.

cheers,

Michael