Hurd & console & X

Dear Manuel;

Thank you for the reply.  I got the 'console -d .....' line to work
just fine.  I can get virtual screens and X sees a keyboard.  However,
now, Xinit cannot find /dev/psaux & /dev/input/mice because there are
none!  I tried to ./MAKEDEV psaux in the /dev directory and then, I
tried ./MAKEDEV busmice and they all replied: Unknown device name.  My
Sarge man MAKEDEV page says that means that the kernel is missing some
parts.  Should I compile the gnumach source to include psaux, mice
busmice, input and usb?  Or is my latest K9 hiding it from me?

On 08/04/05 15:38:36, Manuel Menal wrote:
> dsyvanen@netzero.net wrote:
>
>> I recently picked-up from debianvendor.org, the latest K9 CDs, and
>> going through the Cookbook, there is a command: console -d vga -d
>> pc_kbd --recent=kbd -d pc_mouse --repeat=mouse -c /dev/cons/dev/vcs
>> (I am not copying it, from memory, in hurd, I copy exactly as the
>> Cookbook lists).[snip]
>
> First, you're not copying exactly what is written in the Cookbook,
> which is:
>
> # console -d vga -d pc_kbd --repeat=kbd -d pc_mouse --repeat=mouse
>     -c /dev/cons /dev/vcs
>
> (note the --repeat= instead of -recent= and the space between /dev/
> cons
> and /dev/vcs).
> But unfortunately, the Cook-book does not seem up-to-date, since the
> current syntax is (as printed at the end of native-install) :
>
> # console -d vga -d pc_kbd --repeat=kbd -d pc_mouse --repeat=mouse
>                      -d generic_speaker -c /dev/vcs
>
> (all in one line.)
>
> You can also use 'xkb' instead of pc_kbd if you want to use non-
> qwerty
> keymaps, and omit the -d generic_speaker part if you don't want loud
> beeps waking your S/O up. ;-)
>
> HTH,
>
>--
> Manuel Menal

"Religion is the basis and foundation of government."

--James Madison, 1785

Surfing so fast you won't believe it's not broadband!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!