util-linux

Hey,

It seems util-linux is uninstallable, which is not a great surprise
since quite everything is broken these days, what this the C++
transition and all. For the record, you need to edit debian/control to
change the build-dep to the new slang1 package name (libslang1-utf8-dev
 instead of slang1a-utf8), but as the newest conflicts with the oldest,
you need to break the dependency or uninstall *three* essential packages
(util-linux, initscripts and sysvinit). What a mess...

What is more annoying is that the newest util-linux package doesn't seem
to build at all on Debian GNU/Hurd. Here is a sample output :

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mmenal/tmp/u-l/util-linux-2.12p/disk-utils' cc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -I../lib -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -DNCH=1 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DSBINDIR=\"/sbin\" -DUSRSBINDIR=\"/usr/sbin\" -DLOGDIR=\"/var/log\" -DVARPATH=\"/var\"
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -O2 -s blockdev.c   -o blockdev
blockdev.c:72: error: `_IOT__IOTBASE_size_t' undeclared here (not in a function)
[...]

Having a FTBFS in an essential packages quite sucks. I'm not going to
file a bugreport against util-linux, because I don't have time to check
which package has something missing (holidays, here am I).

Cheers,

--
Manuel Menal