Adding a swap partition before native-install

Hello,
I'm trying to install Hurd according to the instructions at
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install
Unfortunately, the native-install script crashes because the system runs out
of memory.
I've created a swap partition, but when I run swapon on it, I have the error
message :
swapon: No default pager (memory manager) is running!
How can I set up the default pager and/or anything I need to have the swap
enabled before I run the native-install script ?
Thanks,
Sebastien