Usability of the Hurd (was: Re: kde on hurd)

On Saturday 11 June 2005 20:28, Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:
> http://www.h1.org/~ncryer/kde.png

Oh, this is nice. Congratulations, and thanks for your efforts!

This leads me to asking the list, how progress is. I am dying to get a
GNU/Hurd system to a barely-running state, almost no matter how ``hacky''
it'd have to be.
That is, I'd rather have an unstable GNU/Hurd system, than dual-booting
GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux -- i find my GNU/Hurd partition rarely used, since
making http://skrewz.dk/tmp/ss.jpg.
I am anxious to help, but I have no experience in being part of a
dev-community. Neither am I an expert in hacking nor programming. So I'll
just say that, if I may be of some help, I may be called on.

However, my question: Could I migrate kernels during my summer vacation (given
my needs below) and if ``yes'', where would I want to start? Do any regular
entry-points exist?

I am currently running Debian GNU/Linux Etch using wmaker in combination with
large parts of KDE 3.3.2. Custom 2.6.11.10 Linux. The machine's a Dell
Inspiron 8000 (modified with a Radeon of the well-supported R250-series, and
modified for ``norsk Dvorak'' keyboard layout). I also use OOo for
school-related work, but am planning to start using the LaTeX-suite, anyhow.

Regards, Anders Breindahl/skrewz.