Re: libgtop2

At Wed, 11 May 2005 01:41:31 +0200,
Manuel Menal <mmenal@hurdfr.org> wrote:
>   - I can't find a way to get  statistics  about CPU usage
> (user/sys/kernel times, etc.),
>     i.e. what you get in /proc/stat with Linux.

Check out libps, which is part of the Hurd.

>   - I did not find a clean way to get the last running PID. That would mean
>     getting a task id from  Mach (since our scheduler is in Mach), and
> converting it
>     to a proc_stat to get its pid, but I don't think Mach has interfaces
> for the first step.

Right, I don't think Mach gives this info.  But if you had a task id,
there is a function to convert task ids into pids in the proc
interface (just FYI).  I don't actually see what you'd want to have
this info for anyway.

> - There are no interfaces for IP accounting. It's usually done at the
> driver level, so
>     you'd need to add an interface to Mach for that - that should be
> simple since the
>     code that fills the /proc entry under Linux is already there.

I don't know what IP accounting is.

> - We can't get the "idle time" along with the uptime like in
> /proc/uptime, but
>     I'm not sure it matters anyway.

Ok.

> libgtop2 interfaces are pretty Linux-specific, so there are a few things
> that don't
> apply to GNU/Hurd. I hope we'll have a working libgtop2 by the end of
> the week,
> but I can't say for sure.

Sweet.