Re: RfC: Hurd console by default

At Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:58:05 +0100,
Michael Banck wrote:
> 1. It's sort of a hack.  See
> http://people.debian.org/~mbanck/marcus_azeem_console_login.txt for some
> discussion on how this should be done properly.  It also means running
> e.g. xdm will be painful/not possible as the Hurd console gets started
> /after/ /etc/rc2.d/ is being run.  However, it's the only choice we have
> currently which does not involve some non-trivial coding.

Why?  What non-trivial coding are you talking about?  Daemonizing the
console client seems pretty trivial to me, and that's all that is
really required.  The loop can be in a shell script in /etc/rc2.d/...,
even if it doesn't break out if it respawns too fast, in a first
version.

You must understand I am really confused here.  I have seen several
people involved in this, and they all hack on and struggle with
runttys like mad, and I have never understood this.  What is the
problem in running the console-client as a normal daemon like any
other daemon?