how to update /hurd/ext2fs?

Hi!
I've installed the K5 images and successfully compiled the gnumach-1.3 and
hurd sources. "make install" in gnumach-1.3 installed the new kernel and
after enabling ide it now works :-) But "make install" in the hurd directory
failed with: "/usr/bin/install: cannot stat '/hurd/ext2fs': Permission
denied" I've installed the other binaries with "make -i install" and after
rebooting everything seems to work fine. How should i update the ext2fs
translator? "cross installing" is no option, it's a single OS machine :-)

Thank you for any hint,
       - Michael