Re: [Fwd: ext2fs patch for large stores, RC1+20040304]

Quoting Ognyan Kulev <ogi@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>:

> I try to post this announcement to bug-hurd since some days, but my
> mails are ignored.  So I post it to debian-hurd.

There are some problems with the gnu.org mailserver.

> Changes in RC1+20040304:
>
> * ihash* -> hurd_ihash* (use revised libihash API)
> * block << log2_block_size -> (off_t) block << log2_block_size (`block'
> is usually 32-bit and stores larger than 4G didn't work with old code)

Great, you found it. :)

> * sleep(1) is called only when all cached blocks are referenced
> (improves performance).

Oh, nice.  But is it possible to use conditions instead of sleep?  Or
at least sleep shorter?

> This fixes what Andrew Mitchell reported to me on 2003-10-28.  I'm not
> 100% sure if what Marco Gerards reported is fixed by this change.
> Marco, would you do some tests again?

Of course.  This change is that 4GB problem you mentioned, right?

> And don't forget that if you test the patch, you'll probably want
> patched e2fsprogs too.  You can get the patch from
> http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~ogi/hurd/ext3fs/ .  It applies cleanly
> to e2fsprogs_1.35-2 (with some offsets, but without *.rej files).

Right.  I have not used this yet.  It would be nice if someone could
make a package for this as well.

Thanks,
Marco