Re: Problems building K8 / L1 CDs

> I am getting errors with the trial build of the K8 set which was built
> using the latest archives.
>
> These messages were copied by hand.
>
> When booting.
>
> hd0: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveRady SeekCompleteError }
> hd0: dma_intr: error 0x84 { BadCRC DriveStatusError }
> 	LBAsect=4054335, sector=114440
> (This is repeated for a number of sectors.)

This is a Mach message and it seems to suggest that you might have a
bad drive.

> After the installation, in multi user mode and logged in as root.
>
> # nano
> No such file or directory.
>
> # /usr/bin/nano
> Too many syslinks (or something similar).

This is a known problem with a recent version of Debian's nano
package.  What happens is that nano installs itself in /bin/nano and
makes a symlink from /usr/bin/nano to /bin/nano using the -f option to
ln.  Since you have a /usr -> . symlink, nano is overwritten with a
symlink that resolves to itself.  I don't know if the Debian guys have
fixed this.

> None of this happens with K7

I am not clean on the scope of this comment.  Does it only apply to
the nano problem or are you not seeing the dma_intr messages with a
different Mach?

> Working on the assumption that this problem has something to do with the
> new mke2fs. The 1-2 gig limit has gone.
>
> An attempt was made to create a Hurd fs on a new partition using
> mkfs -b 4096 -o hurd /dev/hd0s1 from the new GNU installation
>
> # mkfs -b 4096 -o hurd /dev/hd0s1
> Debugger invoked, but there isn't one.
> (panic and reboot)

Maybe mke2fs wasn't compiled with large file support (which it needs
if it is to work with files larger than 2GB).

Neal