How I got X working

Sorry for the repost but I think I put the wrong xwindow package. I think it should be xwindow-system-core, not xserver-common.

Don't know if anyone is interested but here is how I got X working on my
GNU/Hurd box (Thanks azeem and gianluca!)

Use the hurd console:

apt-get install xserver-xfree86 (not sure if this is necessary
considering the next step?)
apt-get install xserver-common

sudo (obviously not necessary if you are root) console -d vga -d pc_kbd
--repeat=kbd -d pc_mouse --repeat=mouse -c /dev/cons /dev/vcs

ln -s /dev/cons/mouse /dev/mouse
ln -s /dev/cons/kbd /dev/kbd  (These two only need to be done after
firing up the console for the first time, obviously)

In your XF86Config-4
   Protocol   "osmouse"
   Device      "/dev/mouse"

For normal users to use X, you may also have to do the following:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
   change from "console users" to Anybody

Good luck!

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.