Re: reboot complains about /dev/initctl

On Jun 23, 2004, at 8:03 AM, Ognyan Kulev wrote:

Since a week the "reboot" command warns something about runlevels and then gives up when it sees that noone responds to /dev/initctl. So the system doesn't get rebooted. My workaround is "reboot -f".

Where is the problem. and why it shows up now?

I'm also experiencing this problem; to be honest, I thought it had something to do with your patched dpkg, which I installed just previous to get around the s-s-r daemon segfaults. But I have absolutely no basis for saying that's what caused it except time proximity.

Just for the sake of completeness, I should also mention that "reboot -f" does work for me to reboot the system, but then dumps me into single-user mode with:

start (hd1,0)/hurd/ext2fs.static: Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[device:hd
1s1] exec init proc auth/libexec/runsystem: line 112: /libexec/rc: Permission de
nied
sh-2.05b#