Re: stickybit & runlevel question

   -rwsr-sr-x    1 root     root         7828 Apr 28 11:23 X
   The 's' is a 'stickybit', right?

No.

,----[ (coreutils)What information is listed ]
|      The permissions listed are similar to symbolic mode specifications
|      (*note Symbolic Modes::).  But `ls' combines multiple bits into the
|      third character of each set of permissions as follows:
|     `s'
|           If the setuid or setgid bit and the corresponding executable
|           bit are both set.
|
|     `S'
|           If the setuid or setgid bit is set but the corresponding
|           executable bit is not set.
|
|     `t'
|           If the sticky bit and the other-executable bit are both set.
|
|     `T'
|           If the sticky bit is set but the other-executable bit is not
|           set.
|
|     `x'
|           If the executable bit is set and none of the above apply.
|
|     `-'
|           Otherwise.
`----

   Is this something Hurd needs?

Yes, and not only GNU/Hurd, GNU/Linux needs it to, infact, all systems
need it.  X must run as root.

   Can I chmod +x X, without causing any grief.

No.