Re: Hurd boot problems

> Did you activate the swap partition in Debian GNU/Hurd?  swapon
> /dev/hdXXX should do the trick, and then you can use vmstat to see how
> much you have free.

I used 'swapon -a', is that ok?  It indicated that it was on.  My /etc/fstab:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
/dev/hd1s1      /               ext2    rw                      1       1
/dev/hd1s2      none            swap    sw                      0       0
/dev/hd2        /cdrom          iso9660fs       ro,noauto       1       1

I will 'man vmstat' and use it.

> Anything about Debian GNU/Hurd is better to post to debian-hurd
> really...

So noted.  Trivial post anxiety!

> Pine is non-free software; which is why it isn't avaiable.  Mutt is a
> nice client if you don't wish to use Rmail/VM/Gnus in Emacs.

I get the most from Emacs, right?  Web browsing, mail, news, and it is my
favorite editor, so I guess I need to learn how to use it for more than
editing!

Trying to be brief, 'xstart' failed because my XF86Config-4 file needed to be
modified for the mouse.  Where do I set permission for user "ron" so he can
access the xserver?

I 'apt-get upgraded xfree86' via ftp.  Of course many dependent packages were
then upgraded as well.  I was nervous.  This was a pretty hefty task as far
as resources, and I didn't get the "panic: zalloc":-)

I don't know if it makes sense, but I am going to just carefully nibble at
packages, and kind of steer clear of dselect until I understand this zone
allocation and inter-process communication.  I read in the archives (from
about 3 years ago) that this was the result of a suspected "port leak".  I
saw a command for checking, but I couldn't find 'info or man' on it.  How do
I investigate this?

Thanks an awful lot,
Ron