Re: where can find S_fsys_startup?

funfire@eyou.com writes:

> I am hacking hurd recently. And I found a lot of functions were easy to get
> their declarations,but difficult get their source code .
> When I read source code in directory "hurd/trans", I am puzzled so much how
> the function S_fsys_startup was implemented ?

As a general rule, lots of functions are implemented by libraries.
For MiG server functions (that's what the S_ prefix means) they are
often given special names indicating the library, like
diskfs_S_fsys_startup (in libdiskfs/fsys-startup.c) or
trivfs_S_fsys_startup (in libtrivfs/fsys-stubs.c).

However, fsys_startup is a curiously unusual RPC.  This is the RPC
that newly starting filesystems call to their parent to "hook into"
the rest of the filesystem hierarchy.  Filesystems are normally
started with the help of the function fshelp_start_translator_long in
libfshelp/start-trans-long.c.  If you look, you will see that it
doesn't use MiG to process this RPC at all.

So most implementations of fsys_startup are just stubs, and what
matters is hidden inside fshelp_start_translator_long.

The one exception (in libdiskfs/fsys-startup.c) is for bootstrapping,
where it happens that the normal MiG stub is used to dispatch the
fsys_startup RPC that the initial exec server makes, which is all
really happening in libdiskfs/boot-start.c.  This is because the first
execserver translator is not actually started through
fshelp_start_translator_long, but is instead loaded and started by the
bootstrapping program.

Thomas