Re: [NEWS] "Thomas Bushnell Leaves HURD"

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:43:28PM +0200, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> /* Cross-post to bug-hurd and debian-hurd.  */
>
> Hi,
>
> The Hurd is in the news, but for unpleasant event.  In case you missed
> it: http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=5185

This is strictly an internal GNU struggle, and has no relevance at all on
anything except how GNU is organized and what it means to be a GNU
maintainer.  In particular, Thomas did _not_ get "dismissed from the HURD
project" [sic], nor is it true that "Thomas leaves HURD" [sic].

I am not going to comment further on any of this, because it is based on leaked
material from a private mailing list (which I am following) that should not
have found its way into the "news media" (ha ha), and I would have to
violate this privacy if I were to substantiate my refute.  Just take my word
for it if you can.  That aside, there is surely room and need for discussion,
for example if and when the GFDL is a good license, what GNU maintainers
should and should not be and how GNU itself is organized.  But nothing of
this is of singular relevance to the Hurd at all, because it applies to all
GNU packages equally.  This is something that can and is discussed inside and
outside of GNU, and everyone can participate in that discussion in the
appropriate forum.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/