Newbie docs

Hi all,

First my apologies to those I've offended by ordering stuff from Amazon, and by using incorrect terminology (Open Source instead of Free Software etc.)

Secondly, yes part of any new Hurd documentation should definitely include a decent terminology list that explains why we use the terminology we do. Thanks to Wolfgang for offering to draw something suitable up.

I don't take exception to being educated on these points at all. My only suggestion is that if new people join the list and express an interest in helping out, that we refrain from correcting them in a manner that could be construed as aggressive.

It won't help our cause if someone sends an initial post along the lines of...

'Hi, I've just heard about Hurd from ..., and I'm interested in helping out. I'm grateful to everyone who works on Open Source software, because it's free. I've attached my CV in Word format so you guys can get a feel for where I may be useful. I've also been looking at Amazon to try and work out what books to buy, any help would be appreciated on this point. Thx Arthur Newbie'

...and gets a response that corrects him on all the contentious points above, instead of a warm welcome and a little advice on reading material. I really don't want anyone to take this as criticism, just a suggestion for helping people feel part of things before we draw them into our culture.

Mark