Re: Hurd advocacy? (newb docs)

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:50:08AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:00:50AM -0500, Timothy Rue wrote:
> > Is there a working python package under the hurd currently?
>
> Last I know, the vanilla debian python source package does not compile,
> due to pthread issues (I might be mistaken though, it's been a while).

IIRC there were {p,c}thread issues. Python2.3 builds and works fine
though, and Debian is currently moving to 2.3 so unless the bugs that
break 2.2 are in a component of the GNU system we can safely ignore it.

> If somebody could hack together a recent python version for
> alpha.gnu.org (dunno who did it the last one), that would help a lot for
> porting other stuff I guess.

I did. If you still want to make a new build there must be a patch somewhere
in alpha with my dirty hackery (maybe in debian/patches or something)

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)