Re: Hurd Advocacy?

On 20-Aug-03 03:11:17 Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net> wrote:

>> >OS design is still complex engineering task.  In the future, users may
>> >be able to drag and drop modules, filesystems and other resources in a
>> >nice flashy GUI environment (why not?), and they are also free to
>> >shoot themselves in the foot. Multiple times. With a machine gun...
>> >After all, it's all about user freedom. Nah, just kidding :-))
>>
>> Be very careful how you treat the users, least you be preceived as an
>> arrogant fool if not also ignorant. And that would result in less
>> effective advocacy from you, for the hurd..

>Hey, I was joking here :) A user-friendly interface to OS resources
>and management doesn't....

[snip - see thread]

>But let's repeat this again: it is not Hurd-specific at all.
>If there is an X application which does this, let's port it :)

Sounds to me like you are playing matrix agent and injecting a
distraction. In that case Hi, some know me as Neo, not the movie
character but the real thing. Yeah, the informant is REAL.

Do I need to recap why I'm watching two OS projects, the Hurd being one?

I don't know if you think you know what the details would be or are just
injecting distraction, in regards to the general automation functionality
I have only briefly mentioned or provided analogies in reference.

I'm aware Mach makes heavy use of IPC and that L4 doesn't so much, and I'm
pleased to know that L4 effort including improving the IPC availability on
L4. But my interest in what ukernel is used ..... considering the target
of the Hurd is to be portable over ukernels...

IPC is important as it provides the support needed for the third (and
final primary of three) user interface. Virtual Memory and Device drivers
are more in teh line of resources, than the primary interface of IPC.

To continue on with the analogy of the Hindu-Arabic Numeral system. The
element of it that provided the most useful for confusing the public and
maintaining Roman Numeral expertise was the concept of zero, nothingness
having value. How can Nothing have value, what fools? ..... etc...

In the same way.... the concept of nothing having value was hard enough
for the public to grasp, the experts wanting to protect their vested
interest in their roman numeral accounting career surely only
contributed to feeding the confusion and difficulty of the public
understanding (a public that probably had less say then they do today
about what tools the accountants used) , perhaps not understanding it
well enough themselves, but they were the experts ..... at roman
numerals... not the decimal system w/zero...

In that same way, we have experts today stalling out change, out of
arrogance and/or ignorance or job security?

There is plenty vested interest in doing things the way they are being
done today, even with GNU/Linux. Slash dot had this article link to the
other day --- http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit200330814.html
And there is this too --
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/08/07/software.glitches/index.html
And I'm sure there is plenty more as well as plenty more excuses in effort
to dismiss such.

But the zero, it was really quite simple and would have been far more
quickly understood for the value it is, if it just wasn't for the
distractors in positions of official control as experts in teh field of
counting and math ... Like the position coders have today.

This thread is titled "Hurd Advocacy" and I wasn't the one who started it.
If it is on the wrong list...... then why was such a thread started here?
Preaching to the believers? I was simply saying why I'm interested in the
Hurd as a matter advocacy of the Hurd.

As to the tool set of general automation, what I have said about it has
been very limited and only as an ultimate target of the why of my interest
in the Hurd. There is plenty more I could say about it, even about its
current state of development....But what is relative to this thread is
what the hurd is providing in the way of functionality and resources that
can contribute to a friendlier environment for such a tool set. The why I
advocate the Hurd.

Seek and you shall find...
----
Timothy Rue (3seas)