Re: default CPU target for ix86 based ports

On Wed, 2003-08-06 09:52:57 -0600, Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20030806155257.GA30303@lightbearer.com>:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:05:13AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Now that the kernel-image packages supports hw emulation of i486
> > instructions on i386 hardware, I'd like to change the code generation
> > to default to i486 (not sure if it should be tuned for any other
> > target, i.e. -mtune=i686).
>
> TTBOMK, NetBSD doesn't (yet) have kernel emulation of i486 instructions
> on i386 targets. On the flip side, we also have no installed userbase, so
> it is, perhaps, less crucial to support extremely old processors for this
> (especially if Linux continues to support them).

Linux supports them, but Debianish ./configury makes it hard because the
emulator isn't available eg. for 2.6.x (and at all, his author doesn't
recommend to rely on it...).

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));