Re: Debootstrap on GNU/Hurd Status

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:29:34PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> tar doesn't support translator settings, but it should.  When tar does, we
> can have a tar file as well.  Until then, it must be done with MAKEDEV.

Has anyone taken the time to figure out how this would fit into the
existing tar format?

> I ported sysvinit a couple of years ago, and the old and out of date patch
> is in the Debian BTS.  It never got any official acknowledgement of any
> type.  Privately, I got a reply that the package should be split into an
> (source-wise) architecture independent base package with the programs, and
> an architecture dependent package for the init scripts.  That never happened.

> For the Hurd, we want a better init system than sysvinit (Wolfgang seems to
> work on one), but that doesn't exist yet.

I'd like to see us use sysvinit for Debian.  I agree that the GNU system
will need a better init system, though.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
You said homosexuals form a small percentage of the population.  So
do Jews.  Is that a reason to deny someone equality?