Re: GNU-Hurd installation: extracting the base-system fails

Hi Alfred!

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:50:26PM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> If its not possible to put up the Debian GNU/Hurd CD-images on
> ftp.gnu.org (by the way, why haven't anyone uploaded them?), maybe it
> would be possible to create a README file in that directory, that
> would contain information on how to get them.
>
> Could someone with access to ftp.gnu.org check if this would be
> possible?

Since the images are Debian-specific stuff, I don't think they should be
in ftp.gnu.org. There are two serious problems with doing that:

 - After the crack incident, shell access to gnuftp and getting the images
   into ftp.gnu.org through intermediate people won't be an easy and quick
   task as it should be.
 - It's not clear to me if the so-called FSF policy allows hosting Debian
   CD images (remember our discussion in web-hurd).

Phil: I suggest you upload the images somewhere else, like your homedir in
  people.debian.org, then let third parties mirror them.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)