Re: Hurd Advocacy?

On 18-Aug-03 08:57:36 Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

[snip]
>The L4 kernel is truly minimal.  The Hurd depends on a couple of features in
>Mach that simply don't exist in L4.  The three core issues:

>* Device drivers
>* Virtual memory management
>* A capability based IPC system

[snipped - see thread for interesting info]

>So you see, it is not about L4, but about glueing Hurd to L4.  Mach did a
>lot of things for us that L4 is not doing, and we take the chance to try to
>more consequently implement the Hurd's fundamental design ideas.  Freedom to
>the users!  Freedom to map your physical memory as you want it, freedom to
>use the IPC policy you want, and the freedom to have functional device
>drivers without getting them approved by a kernel master geek ;)

On the advocacy issue it is the above which is a good part of the reasons
I'm watching two OS development projects. The Hurd of course being one of
them, and by far the larger. The other, and to use the analogy of a smart
terminal vs. dumb terminal... the other is the Amiga clone project AROS
which besides being targeted to be a standalone, is currently running
hosted on Linux. But I think the two (The Hurd and AROS) can make for an
interesting pair running together. AROS of course running in user space of
the Hurd but like a smart terminal it can be used alone. The IPC of Amiga
(and clone) has been standard (though not with full use of the three basic
communications of IPC) and it is thru this IPC that I believe AROS can tap
into the larger application and other functionality of the GNU base. It
has been determined that Amiga/AROS is such a trade off of functionality
that memory protection is to difficult to do within, but externally
there are possibilities. Device drivers are another thing that is always
an issue with new OSs....

Ok, why use an OS on top of an OS? It's simply a matter of the user not
really needing to deal with all the multi-user based security along with
the ability of "taking with you" the "smart terminal" on something small
like a business card CD or memory stick, etc.. that you can customize your
own personal interface smart terminal and plug it into the GNU
functionality when and perhaps where you need the larger base of such.

the Hurd in my eyes is higher on the priority list than AROS, but to be
able to use and take with me such a smart terminal..... well that is
something the Hurd makes possible.

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:timrue@mindspring.com      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://threeseas.net                ^<--------<----9----<--------<