Re: Hurd Advocacy?

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:04:07PM -0500, asubedi wrote:
> >===== Original Message From Marco Gerards <metgerards@student.han.nl> =====
> >The kernel is developed by the L4KA project. Does it matter that it is
> >written in C++ or isn't GPLed? (Ofcourse what matters is that it is
> >free software).
>
> I had noticed that some of the L4 kernels were licensed commercially while I
> was browsing L4 website sometime ago. The concern of the choice of language
> being that I had read in some paper that g++ is not really fine tuned as
> compared to gcc (plus other GNU philosophies; sorry true GNU fanatic :).

Pistachio is Free Software, although not under copyleft, but more like the
revised BSD license.  The documentation is unfortunately not freely
licensed.

It's written in a subset of C++, and the L4 people know exactly what
features they can use without running into problems and which should be
avoided.

The external interface of L4, the ABI, is of course language independent and
specified down to the assembler and bit level.  There are convenience
interfaces for various languages, too.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/