Installing grub to hd from hurd

I have a partial installation of the hurd. I'm having to do a lot of rebooting while learning how to tame this beast. I'm tired of typing in eleven hundred lines of boot code each reboot. I'd love to install grub to the hard drive.

Using a grub boot floppy, at the grub> prompt, I've typed "setup (hd0)", which then says it's checking for stage1 and stage2, and a conf file, and then it reports success. However, on reboot, I just get a blank screen with a dash in the top left corner, just like I would sometimes get back in the old days of MS-DOS if the boot sector was corrupt and the system started booting and then hung early in the process.

I've also tried running "grub-install" from within the hurd itself, but nothing I've found gives any examples of what syntax the "INSTALL_DEVICE" uses; it says it can be a GRUB device name or a system device name, but nothing I've tried works.

"grub-install hd2" says "Format of install_device not recognized"
"grub-install hd0" says the same.
"grub-install (hd0)" says "sh: syntax error near unexpected token '(hd0)'"
"grub-install '(hd0)' says "df: Warning: cannot read table fo mounted filesystems: No such file or directory" twice, then finishes with "Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device" "grub-install /dev/hd0" says "hd0: tray open or drive not ready, /dev/hd0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive" "grub-install /dev/hd2" says "/dev/hd2 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive"
"grub-install /dev/hda" says "/dev/hda: Not found or not a block device."
"grub-install /dev/hdc" says the same, only "hdc".
etc etc etc

I thought maybe some /dev entries were missing, so I cd'd into /dev and ran stuff like "./MAKDEV hd0" and "./MAKEDEV hd3". I already had a /dev/hd2s1 in that directory. (All the major/minor numbers on those entries are all set to 0,0, btw.)

For some reason beyond my comprehension, Gateway put the hard drive on the master slot of the second IDE port, so in Linux the drive is /dev/hdc (which has caused me some grief trying to figure things like this out.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Kent