Re: A few questions - Long

> L4:
> New microkernel architecture that some folks are attempting to port
> to?  A couple of web sites I looked over mentioned something about
> this not being available to the public???

L4 is a research microkernel developed at University of
Karlsruhe and University of Dresden (both Germany) and
at University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia)
[others may be working on it too].

There are at least 2 free implementations for L4/x86:
Fiasco at Dresden, and Hazelnut at Karlsruhe:
  Hazelnut:  http://www.l4ka.org/
    Fiasco:  http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4/

The team at Karlsruhe are developing a new version
of the L4 kernel: Pistachio, which should implement
the new Version 4 (a.k.a. X.2 experimental) API.
Unfortunately, Pistachio is not yet released to the
general public.

AFAIK, consensus on l4-hurd@ is that we'll use
Pistachio (and Version 4 API) as soon as it is
released. Until now, Hurd/L4 is hibernating
(but Maurizio is currently porting NetBSD's
UVM to L4 and Neal has already done some work
on recursive pagers).

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Management.
http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html